March 23, 2011

Kaohsiung 高雄 : Part 1


The train ride to Kaohsiung didn't take long - only about 50-55min (if u take the high speed rail - only 15 min).


The train station looks very new hor? Still like the rustic ones of Taichung and Tainan.

Changed to the MRT station (YESH!! no more walking and uncertainty! ) and went down to my hostel/hotel.
It's actually an old hotel that's still  functioning as a hotel (maybe like 1 or 2 stars) that has some rooms available for the hostelling world. The rooms are windowless but it's exactly like a hotel room.. :) 

Not bad right? Best thing is - MRT station is just 5 min walk opposite the hotel/hostel and there is a departmental store opposite with Eslite AND Daiso in it. Good? That's not all! 29 bucks a night and includes breakfast! (although it's nothing la)

Walked around town, went browsing away in Eslite as usual. :) My Chinese reading is  going to be GOOD! haha kidding. 

 Cloudy/misty days in Kaohsiung as well. Temperatures were nice - around 20-25deg but just cloudy/misty so quite annoying.Best I can take! This is Tuntex Sky Tower or 85 Sky Tower - used to be the tallest building in Taiwan until Taipei 101 was built. 

Went down to LiuHo Night Market 六合夜市 in the evening and boy it must be the smallest night market there is! (Oh talking about there are night markets in Tainan but they don't open everyday - and none were open when I was there) 

Let me tell you - I yelled at a PRC at the papaya milk store - she cut my queue and a lot of other people's queue. Don't u ever EVER cut my queue. 

The night market is FILLED with that country's citizens. it's a night market that spans a short road so it's pretty small. had stinky toufu again - this one was quite good cos I didn't smell it at all but when I ate it the fragrance or rather pungent smell was there....:) 

To get here, take the MRT (orange line - there are only 2 lines) to Formosa Boulevard 美丽岛。 
And while you are here, don't forget to take picture of the Dome of lights.


The next day, I went to Cijin island旗津.

Took the MRT (orange line) to the last stop 西子湾Sizihwan, and took a 10 min walk to the Gushan Ferry Pier. 
The ferry takes scooters as well so just be careful - just drop your NT 10 coin and off you go! 



 See that lady behind me on the right pic - Singaporean - we talked for a while and on the island but they somehow being Singaporean - must go read a map (visitor's centre closed) lalala...I went off and I found the light house and fort without looking at the map - I explored. 
 My eyes are terribly swollen here..

 
The pier at Cijin Island
The temple which I forgot  its name.... think its another 天后宫- it's easily seen from the pier. 

Just walk along that road - then turn right and walk straight and follow the signs and you will get to

This. I chose to go to the fort first (which on hindsight was MUCH better idea - the slope towards the light house was steep steep steep) 

so climb climb climb (not that steep la)  

pass by some sleeping in the middle of nowhere dogs ...

then

not really a 故事馆 la  

just a fort. 



The entrance to the fort... don't know why got 2 喜 on both sides. Don't think when u need to use the fort is anything to be happy about. 

You can walk to the lighthouse via the back  - don't have to walk back and walk up again and kill yourself at the same time.

Pictures speak for themselves. 

 See? Another misty day. 
Walked down the very steep slope and walked past a few cyclist  which were huffing and puffing up the slope... 

YOu can rent bicycles here which I regretted not - walked to the beach halfway and almost died. So renting a bicycle is a good thing. ;)

3 men fishing by the sea... common sight
Really amazing they feel so comfortable sleeping in the middle of nowhere 

I had to take a picture of this:
 This was a clinic/hospital. And the dog was actually looking inwards eagerly think must be waiting for owner. So heartwarming. 
Took a walk to the beach - may not be a nice beach in some sense cos the sand is black. The beaches in Taiwan - all black sand! 


A little market selling sea produce... 

Walked along the beach for awhile - actually wanted to go see the windmills but unfortunately my legs won't bring me there. After searching online on my Iphone (I love my iphone) read reviews that the windmill park was not a must go so ok, got convinced so I went back to the pier. 

Everyday sights - a row (this is not considered a very long row) of scooters 小绵羊 or 机车. This is a common form of transport and very convenient - at least u can squeeze in small lanes cars can't go in. 
The cat is not a common sight la.. hehe . Kill 2 birds with one stone.
Next time I come, maybe can learn how to ride the scooter. :) Rare sight in Singapore ok... scooters. 

There's a road with restaurants with seafood but I'm not a great fan of sea food .
 But you can try - heard its only 100bucks per plate of food.... 

Went back to mainland, had fried chicken (now u know why i have to start working out) for lunch then went off to the Former British Consulate 

On the way

Nearly died getting here - the flight of steps there was blocked by roadworks so I had to climb this SUPER steep slope - those kind of steep slope where u cannot see the top kind? at least more than 45 deg la. 

and huff and puff I  got here.

It's where the British consulate lived last time obviously. Takou/Dagou is Kaohsiung's ex name... the native's called this place dagou 打狗  I think.

There the sign explains it all. 


3 friends having their tea up here. The poodle was very cute - kept barking for food. 

Then I found the PROPER road to get here - wah lau. wasted my effort climbing that steep slope.

Both gave me that - y u disturb me?  - look. hhahaha 
GInger cat looked a bit sickly though. 
Oh well.

End of the day! Had my favourite 便当for dinner and konked out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment