March 22, 2011

Taichung Week 2: Taichung/Fengjia Night Market

This is called the miscellaneous post - what I did in Taichung - remaining days. 
If you do your maths, there was one day I did not go anywhere. That was the day I actually planned to go to the lavender farm but when I asked for directions the person at the visitors information centre was saying it was quite hard to get there - take a bus then may have to cab there - which obviously was out of budget so that would be for next time when I go with another person (whom I won't kill :D )

So, I actually stayed indoors the whole day. Now, some of you must be screaming THAT'S WASTING YOUR TIME! 
Nope. A holiday doesn't necessarily mean that you have to go visit every single attraction or go out. Moreover, with almost 80 channels on TV who's not going to be happy? They had HBO, AXN as well. and a channel showing REALLY retro shows... and a lot of Jimmy Lin 林志颖 era movies.
So I stayed in, watched TV, read (and fell asleep - never read philosophical books when u r tired, really mind boggling)

Went out to get my meal and came back in to have it in front of my TV. 

Left: My favourite type of food - Bento便当- it's a bit like our economical rice except u don't choose what veges - u only choose what kind of meat..this one was 红烧排骨... pork chop is also quite nice (if u read my Jiufen entry- that bento set was pork chop) or chicken cutlet, chicken drumstick etc etc. 
Right picture was on a separate day -supposed to be Japanese chicken curry - sauce was REALLY sweet! but it was good because for just NT70 (SGD 3 plus) - u get the chicken, 2 types of veges, sunny side up and free flow of lemon tea, and miso soup which was laden with tofu. Wu hua boh?(Worth it not?)

As you know I stayed in the Fengjia逢甲 area which after meeting Yuan Mama - I got to know it wasn't a very safe area. 治安不好 in her words. And it was true! Just the day before I arrived, there was a shooting JUST outside where I stayed! Apparently, some guy got pissed off with the other driver so got down his car and shot the driver from the outside, and caused another scooter to whack into the car (as the driver can't exactly drive properly after being shot) and the poor university scooter driver flung off his scooter and was in a coma (not sure abt now though) See? Watch a lot of TV la. 

There's another popular short stay in this area - Tomato rooms too (no availability when I was there).

Nearby is the very famous Taichung Fengjia Night Market! :) 
It's quite big and popular esp in the weekends. It was a nightmare when I was there during the weekends (long weekend somemore) 

 Pictures taken on 3 different days. Yes I went almost everynight. 

I had 麻辣臭豆腐 spicy stinky toufu - IT WAS VERY SPICY. If u direct translate from chinese it means numb spicy hot. and yes it was. My nose started to run and I started to tear and my tongue was numb. No pics - too difficult to hold the box with one hand, camera in another and your bagpack in front... 

On another night, I queued up for this and this is my favourite hands down.
Picture don't do justice. 大肠包小肠 basically its a sausage with glutinous rice that wraps a sausage. They add condiments la like cucumber, cai pok, etc u can choose flavours and my favourite is still garlic. 
If I took the whole thing out to take the picture - everything would drop out. ....u just have to go eat it.
There are 2 queues BOTH claiming to be the original and BOTH really are competing as they are just next to each other. Both have long queues. I wanted to go to the other stall the next day but it was too crowded! 

The night market is really bustling with activity and it spans many roads. It's surrounds the Fengjia University and if u take a bus - as long as it goes to Fengjia University you can get there. There are many many many things you can buy here and there are many many many things you can eat too. :) 

common sight - when u travel by train/bus to anywhere more rural.
Went to SOGO in Taichung as well. and it was 18 floors of shopping. ok maybe 2 stories for food. so 16 floors! :O
Also went to 国际艺术街Art street.
It's quite a quaint street - selling all sorts of lifestyle, cottage products place... was tempted to buy like porcelein cat stuff, but with a backpack - limited space and don't think it would be intact.... 




that's the original bubble tea - taste much better than those u can buy from each a cup la sweet time? It's a place called 春水堂 it's not as common to see, the drink is bit more expensive but it's more or less a restaurant/cafe vs those like 50岚 (which is KOI in singapore) u buy from counter and drink along the way... 
They are the original bubble tea ok! 

On the topic of bubble tea, I didn't think Gongcha贡茶 or 50岚 (KOI) was that fantastic... 
and when you order here - they will ask you how much ice and how much sugar... and they will ask very fast. So let u know just in case. 
Anyway, got another favourite (if u know me I've got fixed menu when I order at bubble tea stores - honey red tea) but now, I'm starting to like grapefruit honey green tea. Sour and nice! :) and refreshing. 

Ok. That ends my Taichung trip. My advice is - don't stay here too long unless you wanna visit Lugang (cos Changhua not as convenient) think 2-3 days should be fine. 
You'd have to keep asking, and get used to taking bus - not all bus drivers are grumpy la, there were a few that were smiley and would say hello. 
I think they speak a bit more hokkien here though.. 
There's a brochure u can pick up from the visitors centre at the train station (sure u can get it from the high speed railway station as well
 - it shows u the bus routes and the bus stops and which bus goes where etc. Pretty helpful. Grab that one. If not, if u have money u can cab.

Another place good to stay would be hotels which are mainly on the big main artery road through Taichung city - I think it's called Taichung Port road 台中港路it's huge and long- most hotels are there I think.

And when I finally gotten used to HOW to cross the road here (it's scary cos certain junctions no traffic light) and wrong direction la (they are left hand drive)and u still have to look out for the scooters which can come out from nowhere, when I've gotten used to certain landmarks - it was time to leave Taichung. -_-





No comments:

Post a Comment