March 28, 2011

Taipei Week 4: Houtong 侯硐

My last day in Taiwan (not really la but technically last full day). Depressing BUT this is the day that I have been looking forward to! Why? It's cat day! :) So if you are not a cat person, you can skip this post....

Houtong was a mining town in Taipei County- it's actually on the Pingxi Line - so getting here is easy - u can take a direct train from Taipei to Houtong and also take a train back to Ruifang train station (one stop away) and take a bus to Jiufen again!
Somehow or rather - this place started to have a lot of cats! And after hearing about this place (from a client actually) I made plans to visit this place. Don't ask me how it became the last day of my trip.

As you can see, it was raining. But NOTHING would stop me! 

So after disembarking from the train- I had to cross the overhead bridge over the railway  tracks to get to where the cats are... 
then I heard a bit of growling.
And this was what I saw behind me... a bit scary to see this coming at you.
Thankfully, they all scrambled past me- but not without the growling brown dog giving me a look first.. 




Think they were chasing after that beige dog on top.... Actually quite cute to see stray dogs in a pack... like little boys running round town finding something to play with. 

After the hoo-ha was over,

I could take this in peace
Hehe so cute =snotty cat. :P

 One of the first signs you'd see...



Another common sight:
SOme kind soul actually built houses for the cats to sleep in and hide from the rain and cold breeze..:) 

This was cat no 1 that I spotted (Besides the ones curled up in the hut)

Betty look-a-like!! :) Sorry I go a bit crazy with black and whites... 


It was sitting on a food stall that is not open yet... and maybe because of the rain/wind, all the cats were all in this position. 

I think this cat is polydipsic (drink a lot of water) I went off and came back still drinking.
This cat was sneeeeeeeezing away... uh oh. flu flu flu. 



Very sweet cat... silently just observing all the activity around (another group of people playing with a black and white cat just next to this cat) 

They were asleep when I came back.
The black and white (before this) was actually grooming the tabby cat who I think got shocked awake so it swiped at the black and white and hissed for a while.. haha sounds like Miss Betty. 

There was this loud meowing when I was at this house and I was wondering where it came from..
Hello! 


The houses here are pretty old but a lot of things here like signs are cat-orientated. 


A sign with some cats pics and names and what has been done with them - etc - worming, vaccination, sterilisation etc. There was even a sign telling you about what deworming is about-. should hv taken a picture ya? would be interesting what roundworms are called. 圆虫? hahahaha . hookworms 钩虫? tapeworms 黏胶带虫?whipworms - 鞭虫? Ok I'm being stupid...

It says 'Respect life, love animals. Pls do not abandon your pets, offenders will be punished by law.' 
We should have these signs everywhere too. 

More cats! 
This one very handsome! 


he's big actually - picture did some slimming treatment for him.. :P 


Another silent observer from underneath the table.


Introducing the stalker -
she ( I think its a she) followed me to 2 houses and back... sorry no food...:( 

Different cat - short ear kind of breed - what ah? scottish fold? It was chasing after a bird because it jumped not long after this shot was taken. 

There was an obsession with my umbrella too.


These are two different cats by the way. 


There was an argument with a huge ginger tom and a tricolour - I tried to break it up but that ginger boy was relentless. Oh well. it happens. Just hope no injuries ya. 

Ok there was this really cute black and white cat  it was actually sitting on the wall watching the world go by and when it saw me coming down the stairs it jumped down and starting running towards me meowing all the way!! 

How to resist? So I squatted there for a good 15 min so it could rub against me, and -play with my umbrella. This was the only picture I can take of it because it wouldn't stop moving or coming towards me. 
Someone was approaching!
Felt a bit sad when I had to leave.... thankfully the other couple serve to distract her ( I think its a her) 

This one not interested in me..bo chup. 

I crossed the overhead bridge again - and that's where a museum with the abandoned coal mine building - look see for a while. 


The welcoming cat - outside the museum. I was praising it saying wah u so good - know how to stay outside...
and when I was going to exit the museum. It was on the other side (inside) of the door. -_-""" Don't ever praise cats. It gets to their heads....:P 

And all the dogs were on this side of the railway tracks! haha... maybe not very smart to fight with cats.... 

Before leaving, have to buy some cat related souvenirs - and this was outside the shop
I won't buy any coffee from them.
So expensive somemore...

Bye bye Houtong! I would be back! 

Black nose 黑鼻 one of the famous residents of Houtong - passed away already though. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment