March 21, 2011

Taichung Week 2: Taichung City /921 Earthquake Museum

Although I stayed in Taichung for a good 5-6 days but I didn't take a lot of pictures. 
Frankly speaking my impression of Taichung is not very good. Maybe I was quite spoilt by the convenience of having the MRT in Taipei, Taichung's public transport then failed very much in comparison.

Taken with my Iphone so terrible exposure. Already edited. 
Taichung train station - apparently a historical place to note.

Now, this place a bit the messy. What do I mean? The view when you come out from the train station is messy. Few bus stops here and there. Had to walk into the visitors information centre (which I constantly went everyday to ask for directions) to ask for directions.

I chose to stay in a short-stay place - meaning its REALLY basic- bed, shower and TV. It was near Fengjia - 5 min walk away from the famous Taichung Fengjia逢甲 BUT at least 30 min bus ride from the train station.... and most of the places I had planned to go - have to go back to the train station. Oh well, don't complain - at least I have transport. And so, pls dont tell me clementi is very far away ya, Singapore is NOT THAT BIG.

Ok got my directions to accomodation- went up the bus- asked the bus driver again just in case, and got scolded cos he couldn't understand me and I couldn't quite understand him as he was speaking in 台语hokkien which I buay hiao lah.
First impression? Bad. 

Anyway, THANKFULLY they name all their  bus stops and mine was 西屯河南路口and some buses would have a screen in front to inform you of the next stop and some didn't or the bus driver didn't bother switching it on. So that was when a lot of attention had to be paid - cos after a while all the buildings and places all looked the same. 

Didn't take any pics of the place I was staying in - don't ask me why, I have no idea too. But it's cosy and alright. It's run by a young man who runs another business - electronic locks so the doors are only assessed by a card. :) And I have my own shower room (vs Taipei & Tainan - I share- hostel what) 

Went down to Yizhong Street一中街 which is just an area with food stalls and lots of stalls selling clothes and accessories - like a night market. It's quite big- many youngsters do hang out here and it's only a few bus stops away from the train station.



The next day, I went down to the train station and took a bus to this earthquake museum. 
This was not after asking like 3 pple WHERE to take the bus. It's the UBUS company, bus no 50. - just ask because I can't tell you exactly where the bus stop is... I can only lead you if I'm there... but you can choose not to visit this place cos it's pretty depressing especially what just happened. This was only just before when the earthquake hit Christchurch actually. And then Japan. 

Anyway, I was the ONLY person on the bus there..and also the ONLY person (besides the staff) in the museum. 
This museum was actually a primary school previously and the earthquake that struck Taiwan on 21st September 1999. 




The Richter scale of the earthquake.


Comparing with the Szechuan earthquake - of which both really really really really pales in comparison to the recent Japan one. :( 

Left to right: The running track of the school.., plantation -not planted that way- supposed to be straight; collapsed highway.

This is the collapsed school itself. 
Quite depressing and scary when you see all these.. 



That was the fault line that caused all the trouble. 

I was a bit overwhelmed when I visited this place. Just shows no matter how much we improve technologically, how many inventions we make that seem to defy some laws of nature, we are still at the mercy of nature.

Ok snap out of it! Instead of dwelling on all these negativity, we should focus on praying and helping people rebuild their lives and giving them all the support we can.

HOW?

You can donate to the recent Japan earthquake via the Red Cross Society :
They have a lot of avenues:

a) SMS Mobile Giving
Donors may make their donation via sms by sending a text message "REDCROSS" to 75772. For every sms, S$50 will be donated to the “Japan Disaster 2011” appeal fund.

b) Cash Donations
Donors may make a cash donation at the Singapore Red Cross at 15 Penang Lane (5 mins from Dhoby Gaut MRT Station) during these opening hours:
• Mondays to Fridays 9.30am to 9pm
• Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays 9.30am to 6pm

c) Cheque Donations
Cheque donations to be made payable to the “Singapore Red Cross Society” and sent to the Singapore Red Cross at 15 Penang Lane, Singapore 238486.. Please indicate at the back of the cheque the following:
• Japan Disaster 2011
• Name of donor/organization
• Contact numbers
• Address

d) OCBC donation channels
Donors may make their donations via OCBC multiple banking channels. These include the ATM, Internet Banking, Mobile Banking, Phone Banking, PLUS! Internet Banking and PLUS! Phone Banking. These channels will be available to all customers from Tuesday, 15 March, 9am onwards to 13 April 2011. Please refer to Annex 1 for the user guide.

e) DBS donation channels
Donors may make their donations via DBS’s ATM and Internet Banking from Tuesday, 15 March from 10pm onwards. Please refer to their website at www.dbs.com.sg for information.

f) UOB donation channels
Donors may also make their donations via UOB’s Personal Internet Banking with effect from Wednesday, 16 March. For details on how to donate, please refer to their website at www.uob.com.sg.

g) AXS stations
Donors may also make their donations at AXS stations.


There are donation boxes at Isetan Scotts too (I have seen them) and I'm sure everywhere else.
I know that just monetary donations are not enough and really, support has to be emotionally and mentally as well.  We can only pray for them - for strength - even though they look very stoic and calm, but they really need the strength and faith to move ahead.

Kambatte Japan! You can do it! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment