March 21, 2011

Taipei Week 1: Pingxi 平溪/Shifen 十分

Just like how Christmas is celebrated or considered a period of 12 days, the Chinese/lunar New Year is also celebrated for 15 days, 1st day being the new year's and the 15th which is the last day - here in Singapore it's called 人日(everyone's birthday) and in Taiwan it's called 元宵.

In a town called Pingxi平溪, this is celebrated by releasing  sky lanterns 天灯.- it's called the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival. So on that day itself, yours truly made her trip down to Pingxi.

This town/village is located along the Pingxi line of the railway, alongside with Houtong候洞 (where all the cats are! :)), Shifen 十分 (lanterns released here too). oh logistics. Take the train to Ruifang瑞芳- to change to Pingxi 平溪line. Go buy yourself a all day pass 平溪线一日游券- you can use this all day as it says unlimited - NT54.

Took the train to Ruifang瑞芳 and boy was the train crowded! I stood alongside this Hongkong guy (who coincidentally had the same camera of the same colour - think that's why I noticed him- not good looking at all) He was talking to another Hongkong couple and was sort of bragging about how many times he has been to Taiwan and was trying to tell them it was good to go down to Pingxi as it was the lantern festival etc etc etc Couple didn't seem very convinced -they were going down to Jiufen 九份.

Taken while waiting for the train...


The train was mad crowded! I was standing at the step just at the entrance! This is how a local train looks like by the way. 

Dropped at Shifen十分 first. This is the town where you can come by (any  time of the year)  and release sky lanterns.

Don't think it would be that crowded on normal days. 

The town is based along the railway- meaning that life surrounds the railway tracks.


You write your wishes on the lantern- then it gets lit up and off it goes up the sky.
Think these people were from Malaysia or Hongkong -speaking Cantonese. Note the MANY dollar signs...haiyo.
Walked past a person writing her wishes in point form. Greedy.


Didn't do one myself - didn't believe in paying 4 bucks, to writing wishes that will not come true (if they would I would wish for a million more wishes HA.) and lastly, you pollute the environment - like the many crashed lanterns I saw. I have heard stories about some lanterns that may accidentally burn mid-air - who knows where it would land and it may set something on fire! 

Left to right: candy I think... I can't recall what it's called, Pig's blood cake (made of blood and glutinous rice .obviously not my cup of tea..); Sausages - look at the amount of fat!! :S 

Besides the lantern releasing, Shifen has 2 waterfalls... Glasshole waterfall (I think) and the Shifen waterfalls. 

To get there, I had to cross 2 suspension bridges ok! (I really do not like to walk on things that shake esp when people are JUMPING. yes- there are some pple who jumped to take that jumping shot...on the suspension bridge- can't they just do it on solid ground?) 
Felt sorry for the person who left his camera pouch hanging on the wall.. not very smart I must say.


Eyeglass waterfall... 眼镜洞 I think. the 2 holes behind the waterfall is the eyeglass I think.

It's on the way to the Shifen waterfall - u can't miss it- it's right after a suspension bridge. 

To see the Shifen waterfall, you have to pay for entrance fees. NT 50. 
I edited these pics a lot so u can see the rainbow a LITTLE bit clearer.... but the colours look a bit fake..hehe.

Makes a perfect picture for some bridal photos.
I walked back to the centre and saw this

Mind you, these dogs were sleeping IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. Not by the side of something... so cool they feel comfortable with the crowd. The black dog esp was sleeping in the midst of a lot of people. 
*edit* I just remembered! I was actually sitting down next to the brown dog on the right resting -and this old man with his grandson came along to sit as well..
Old man: 'Oh the dog is dead.'
Grandson: 'really? so poor thing' Looking quite sad..
Old man after observing for a while: oh it's not dead - see? it's breathing, its chest is moving.
Grandson: oh! yay! Good! 
So so so funny and cute. :)


It was the sky lantern festival so there were lots of queues for you to get your lanterns and then later at night they get released all at one shot. 

Pic taken from Want Chinatimes.com
Nice? Didn't stay for this cos it would be mad crowded on the way back! You know me I'm not one for crowds. 

After Shifen, I took the train to Pingxi.
Middle picture - see that guy at the end? That's the Hongkong guy I was talking about- I saw him everywhere! 

Not as many people releasing the lanterns here in Pingxi.. think it's not so convenient as the buildings are more dense. Not along the railway tracks that is. 

Must take picture of cats!!and it needs to be castrated.hahah occupational hazard. 
THe cat behind refuse to stop walking if it stopped it was really far behind for a good shot...so this was considered not bad.

Saw a queue. Hungry. Ok, go and queue. For sausage!! 
Forgot to take a pic because by the time I got my sausage I was super ravenous! You can ask for different flavours- original, wasabi +garlic, garlic,black pepper. I asked for the garlic one - think it will reduce the 'smelliness' of the pork. So it's just raw garlic slices placed in slits they cut on the sausage. 
Must go buy a drink after that if not you can live with a smelly breath. :S

Walked a little,bought a few souvenirs, postcards. 

Dessert store - but I took this because they were selling 太白粉cornflour??!?!?!?!NT30 (SGD 1.35) somemore...amusing.


A lot of people were on the railway tracks taking railway track pics but I didn't because?
when the train comes where r u going to hide? And note that guy up there? HK guy... I only realised it when I was editing the picture. it's called形影不离。 


Took the train back late afternoon to beat the crowds and boy I did, the train was empty!! :) I like. Met a family that I remember was on the same train towards Ruifang , we recognised each other and so we did a bit of small talk. Taiwanese are friendly - not all -  but they really want to talk and kaypoh.. heard many conversations in trains going on and I know these people don't know each other kind....

I don't regret not staying back for the release of sky lanterns. I figured I may not be able to take great pictures (that would be my only purpose of witnessing it)  must as well just buy some postcards with nice pictures similar to the one above. After that I heard the trains were crazily crowded. And if i reach taipei after midnight - I would have to cab back to the hostel- MRT cease operation after midnight la. Not funny. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Can I ask where u get the 平溪线一日游券? Isit available to get it at RuiFang Station? otherwise where should I get the day ticket from??

    Thank you in advance:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup!! i'm not sure if bcos that day was a 'special' day - they made it easier for sale of the day ticket- i just bought the train ticket to ruifang at the taipei main station, then when i reached the train station at Ruifang there was a table selling the tickets but I'm sure you can ask - cos that line is meant more for tourists so I'm sure it's easy to find. :)

    And if u r going to Jiufen - Ruifang also the train station to stop at but u'd hv to get out and take a bus outside the red color signboard grocery store called ding hao. just FOLLOW the crowd :)


    HTHs .

    ReplyDelete