March 21, 2011

Taipei Week One - Wulai乌来


Take the MRT straight down to 新店 (when you take the MRT pls don't take the wrong one - some trains on that line goes to 南势角 instead - it'll be written on the screen of every carriage of that train) and take a bus (859 or 849) there are directions in the station - it's quite straightforward. Come out, turn right and a little forward- the bus stop is somewhat behind the visitors information centre.

I love this picture! On the old street 老街.... 

The old street's not very long - just full of shops/small eateries to suck tourists in.  Wulai has 2 things - hotsprings and a waterfall. I did not go to the hotspring - cos I heard this is older place (which is true- the spas look really old) - you can soak on the 'river' which is the hotspring too -but wasn't very keen didn't bring any thing with me anyway. Heard the waters there aren't very clean either...

So off to the waterfall I went! You can choose to take a mini railway (very mini) NT50 one way. Or choose to walk about 15-20min. I took the train up, walk down easier ya.

and wah la! a waterfall! Not very big, but well, you don't see waterfalls in Singapore so this is something


This is some kind of cherry blossom I think.

Had 竹筒饭 for lunch. Think it was some sort of 原住民food...
Ok, taste like glutinuous rice u have in your dim sum meal.... 

I had 冰温泉蛋 as well! Didn't take a picture but it basically is an egg that was cooked in the hotspring and served cold- yum because it's not fully cooked, like a half boiled egg? Those who know me know I like my egg yolk watery. Nice. 

See? Another black dog.... 

 Rare to see nowadays. 

Took the same bus back to Xindian新店station. And took a little walk to Bitan碧潭 about 5-10min walk from the station.
It's quite a nice quiet place with a suspension bridge ... for your information, your friend here doesn't quite like walking across suspension bridges. 


It was still early, so I went to a place where I really really hope that Singapore would have one.

Eslite Bookshop! 24 hour branch! 
Eslite has a lot of branches all over Taiwan but this one is at Zhongxing Dunhua 忠兴敦化 MRT station (Exit 6 I think An-he Road exit) 

 Loved the atmosphere. They have a few levels - first few - clothings, lifestyle stuff, and bookstore which is the 24hour bit. quite a lot of books, Chinese books of course the majority.
Browsed a bit - and headed back to Shihlin. 

Minute I walked past the food court, I went straight for this.
Famous one ok! It was yummy. The rare sight was there were only 5-6 pple in the queue! That was why I immediately went!  Let me tell you, every night when I walk past this, it's always a long queue! like this one I took another evening (this is not even peak hour yet ok)
There was one weekend night the queue was twice this long! 
The chicken fillet was great- crispy, and despite it being breast meat, it was still tender and nice. Enough for one meal for a person.

Inside the food court

This is not really most of Shihlin night market - I find this part VERY touristy. You walk past anything- a lot of the stall holders all shouting/touting for business and you get a lot of the tourists from a certain country not knowing how to queue. 

When you get out of the MRT at Jiantan, take exit 1. You can see this opposite. but if you cross the road DIAGONALLY - there are better things - clothes stall and many food stalls  as well. There is another stall selling the same chicken fillet (Same brand) queue not as long. Things here I find, a little bit more expensive but ok. Don't go during weekends - crowds galore. You can smell the hair of the person in front of you kind of crowded. 


No comments:

Post a Comment