March 21, 2011

Taipei Week 1: National Palace Museum, Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall, Taipei 101, Yangmingshan

My entries are getting mechanical - not easy trying to churn out entries at one shot!  I give up trying to blog about each day- by the time I get done, it would be end of this year.
This entry spans 3 days. There,  I got rid of 3 days! :)

I got back to Taipei City and set off for the National Palace Museum 故宫博物院. Direct bus outside Jiantan MRT station and drops you right in front. Easy. 

Not many pics because u cannot take any pictures at all! Only took pictures outside... 
Think that is Chiang Kai-shek 蒋j介石 or 蒋中正 ..dont ask me why people then had 2 names... 

This place is NOT for those who are not very interested in Chinese history or chinese literature or anything to that effect. = me. If you have to come here, at least go see the chinese cabbage and Sam cham bak exhibit.. haha it's actually pcs of jade that are carved minimally to resemble what I said.

The next day I set off later than normal, and went to Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall . MRT station named after it so should be quite easy to get to ya? 

This is actually more like a museum that besides exhibiting things about Sun Yat Sen. So you can get art galleries and all that - there was one with a lot of naked women..and I remember seeing this ah cek sitting there...haha.

I didn't study history - but u can read up on what great things he did
If u realised, his english name is Sun Yat Sen right? But we know him as Sun Zhongshan 孙中山 as his chinese name right? Sun Yat Sen doesnt sound like Sun Zhongshan. because Sun Yat Sen = Sun Yixian孙逸仙。 Trivial fact. Again don't ask me why they have 2 names. 

Fortunately, when I arrived, it was guard changing time! They change guards every hour.. 
Pity the guards who have to stand MOTIONLESS for an hour - just pray that no fly end up in their nose/ears.haha. Talking about this, that day I walked past Istana and I saw one of the guards slouching! Won't blame them in our weather though. 

Written by our Mr Lee. Don't ask me what's above cos it was sort of blocked by a pillar. Dumb right? I tried to take from below but not nice either. 

oh well. Nothing much here. There was an exhibit about the love story btwn Sun Yat Sen and his wife Song Qing Ling. it was then I realised Sun Yat Sen and Chiang Kai Shek were brother in laws! Chiang Kai Shek married Song Mei Ling (he had 4 wives la)

Anyway, Taipei 101 could be clearly seen from here. 
So I walked towards that direction.. not very far - maybe about 10-15min walk.
You can take the MRT to City Hall市政府station - there's a  free shuttle bus to 101. 

This is my 2nd time at Taipei 101 but I didn't go all the way up - it cost NT400 (~SGD 18) and the skies were cloudy so I reckoned I won't get a good view. Also, it's now filled with tourists from a certain country.Taipei 101 is also a very high-end shopping complex. Like Ion/Paragon. So didn't hang around much. 

It's spring time! And what symbolises spring? Flowers! IT was the Yangmingshan Flower Festival /阳明山花季- or rather beginning of it so off I went!
I took a bus from in front of Jiantan MRT station

As I was saying it was the beginning, so the flowers are not in full bloom but I still managed to get some good shots of some nice flowers.... I had a brochure of all the different types of flowers but somehow or rather I can't find it. 
Brrr. It was COLD! 10deg max.
That's Mr Yangming I think. More flower pics again!

昭和櫻





 Left clockwise: No idea what; 杜鵑;  八重櫻 (the same ones in Wulai entry); and I think some sort of 菊花 


 
The one on the right - 茶花


Like my colour saturated words? haha .Flower clock on the left there. 

Roasted sweet potato and the bus stop. 


There are hotsprings u can soak yourself in here as well but I skipped it. There are hiking trails as well :)  there's a shuttle bus u can take at the visitors centre that takes you around all the other parts but that's for the next time! 


I was sitting in front of 2 uni students (there's a university in Yangmingshan area) on the way back- girl was from Hongkong, and guy was from Malaysia - they were conversing in cantonese and were talking about how they miss home and the guy was thinking of giving up and going home etc etc... it's not easy studying in another country eh? 

Ok end of my very long entry. If your eyes are not crossed yet. Good. Mine are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment