March 23, 2011

Taipei Week 4 : High Speed Railway高铁/Ximending西门丁/Monga District

My last week in Taiwan - was starting to get depressed. trust me it wasn't funny. It was the prospect of coming back to reality- suffocation and back to almost non existence.

Oh well. 

I had to experience the high speed rail and I wasn't prepared for a 6-8 hour train ride up from Kaohsiung to Taipei - I'd probably tear my hair out. 2 hours was enough to kill me. Don't know how I sat in the 4 hour budget flight. 

This was the most expensive one-time purchase I made in Taiwan - my train ticket. $1490 (about 60odd bucks) My books in total didn't cost that much, even my 2 bags I bought also in total was still cheaper! 

Anyway, I bought my normal 饭团 and milk coffee breakfast, trudged down to the 左营Zuoying station and off I went to Taipei in 1.5 hours! 

 Attempted to take pictures to try to show how fast the train was...but it just looked like blur lah... how much is that going to tell u how fast the train was going? At 291km/h (at one point) let's just say the poles on the railway track - u can only see it flash by within less than a second... other than that there was no feeling that the train was going at a super fast train! Except that it doesn't rattle that much as the normal train... the inside was nice too - like an airplane - the window seat which I was very fortunate to sit next to- had a little window sill for your arm to rest. 



Frankly speaking, I can't remember what I did the day  when i got back to Taipei... (and the rest of the days were just a blur)
oh. 

yes. 
I had this for lunch when I got back. 
客家板条 Hakka noodles - it's like very thick ban mian. Quite nice, was a restaurant just outside the hostel. 
And I remember! I went to Ximending 西门丁 and 龙山寺 Longshan Temple。

So I took the MRT to  龙山寺 Longshan Temple stop. This is in the historical district Wanhua 万华or Mongka district
and I really agree. The people here are also historical..haha old lah. 

There were A LOT of people man! it's the most popular temple in Taipei I think... look at the amt of people praying and they are not even in the main hall. Incense smell getting to me...quickly got out after snapping...

This movie wasn't popular here but it was a hit in Taiwan- Mongka and it was just based in this area. Walk nearby and there is an 'old' street where filming was based. They built it to look like life last time.

Ultraman! 

Ok. At this point of time. My memory card ran out of memory...and stupid me forgot to take out my pouch that had the extra memory card with me (I had the pouch with me EVERYDAY except that very day ok, murphy made a stupid law)

So the photos after this were taken with my beloved Iphone :)

Next stop! 西门丁Ximending! U should visit these 2 places together as they are just one stop away from each other.
The red house on the left  pic and just outside is a mini flea market (only open in the weekends) - sell really cool stuff- that u can't really find... cute vintage stuff, arty farty stuff get what I mean. Jos - you would love this place. Inside the red building - there are exhibits and also shops selling all sorts of cute things. 



Ximending is like Far East Plaza - but much more active? more action? all your cutesy stuff, clothes etc all here but can be a little bit expensive.  Where the youngsters hangout...

Erm. Your greedy friend here had to find the beef noodles here. 

So after using the Iphone I managed to find on Taoyuan St -and the shop itself is listed in Google Map so it has to be good. It has no signboard and looks a bit dodgy and old but if you look further in - full house! And that was about 3-4pm. 

forgot to add the salted veges on top to make it look more appetizing.. but it's good by the way with LOTS of the salted veges (which is provided in a big bowl) There is the 清汤 version if you don't want it to be so rich
There's another shop selling beef noodles opposite but its very gawdy - not simple and traditional looking. 
To get here - Ximending MRT station exit 3 I think, walk straight as you exit you should walk pass a FE21 shopping centre it's the next street on the left. - read the map pls. 

The next day was a blur - I think I stayed indoors mostly. 
Next entry - Hualien - Taroko Gorge!

No comments:

Post a Comment