March 25, 2011

Taipei Week 4: Shopping, Wufenpu五分埔 etc

This is the post that covers the next few days- cos all I did was shop and eat and rest. Was planning to send some stuff back - esp books as I did buy a lot - and I was told post office don't open on Fridays..so I had to do all my shopping by then... 

Shinkong Mitsukoshi Department Store - 新光三月this used to be the tallest building in Taipei before Taipei 101 came along. Just opposite the main station. Next to this building is K building or something like that- if u r interested Taipei Storyland is in that building - where old taiwan exhibits eg classrooms etc are. 

Ok let me tell you I went to Eslite Dunhua branch (The 24h) one twice... East Metro Underground Mall 东区地街, Sogo... but I bought most things at Eslite :) must give them business hehe. 

Also, those who like to shop has to come to Wufenpu五分埔 when in Taipei! It's the wholesale centre of Taipei!

Take the train to Houshanpi 后山脾(I think it's this 'pi) , follow the signage to the right exit and walk straight, cross 2 roads (when you see 胡须张 shop - yellow sign with a drawing of a bearded man) diagonally across - you are facing Wufenpu. 


Frankly speaking, I didn't buy much from here - only 2 bags  (because I didn't know which colour to buy haha)  and things sold here maybe not my type? 

I went  to the 胡须张 to have their 卤肉饭which its famous for. It's quite nice! :) 
You can eat this alone actually, enough flavour already. 

Walked around a bit, and left. You should be coming here in the late afternoon if u r not a great shopper and you can go to the nearby Raohe Night market 饶河夜市 which I skipped as it was too early. (I thought I was going to have a great time shopping here but in the end everything looked the same) Think the pepper bun 胡椒饼 here is famous. 

Have you heard of Modern Toilet restaurant? I have. It's a restaurant that is toilet themed and there are quite a few scattered over Taiwan. 


FOOD TIME! :)
I went to the Ximending branch quite early on a weekday so it was quite empty.
Your table is the bathtub, and you sit on W.Cs. 

The food is ok la, can be better. I'm probably not returning. 

What is he making? 
Ok you can't see it - it's potato that's deep fried - cut in the middle and ALL SORTS of toppings - ham, bacon, tuna, corn, and cheese sauce that filled up the whole container. 
WAH. 
This is at Shihlin night market. 

Also at Shihlin night market- but have to walk quite far in.
If you like 药材汤herbal soups this is for you. 十全排骨面线- really good on a cold rainy day. It was so cold that night - after having this I didn't feel cold anymore. If it's summer, maybe can skip... too heaty - maybe start bleeding from the nose man. :P

ok I only had one picture of the bubble tea that Taiwan is famous for ya? 
This is one store that I quite like. Cos I find their tea quite fragrant - at least you can smell it when you visit. 



My honey red tea (without the pearls) only cost 20-25bucks! There was one morning I walked past the stall before it open shop - and I could smell the brewing of tea... not ALL bubble tea is chemically flavoured you know.At least I know that this one is real tea. 

I also went to Shida师大夜市night market- this place is quite nice too! IT's near the university so is very catered to the students - shops selling the normal kind of fashion and you get the interesting quirky kind of shops too! :) Worth a visit. Food wise- I wanted to go for the 甜不辣 - but the queue didn't seem to go down..and anyway I wasn't too hungry then... but there are a lot of places/stalls to eat! which were all equally crowded. Next time ok?

Oh. to get there - take to Taipower Station and follow the signs! Turn right as you exit and right into another road and follow the crowd. Not much signs there though... I just 'explored' into it.. haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment